For the cupcakes:
1 c. Equal Exchange Organic Baking Cocoa
2 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 2/3 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
3 large eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. vinegar, cider or white
1/2 c. vegetable oil
For the frosting:
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c. vegetable shortening
1/8 tsp. salt
4 to 5 c. glazing sugar or confectioners' sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract, Pure Vanilla Plus, or a mixture of both
1/4 to 1/3 c. milk
Natural Food Dye
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two standard 12-cup muffin pans with paper or silicone muffin cups, and grease the cups.
2) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. Set aside.
3) In a large measuring cup or medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, oil, and vinegar. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients, mixing until everything is well combined.
4) Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling the cups about 3/4 full.
5) Bake the cupcakes for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of one of the middle cupcakes comes out clean.
6) Remove the cupcakes from the oven, and as soon as you can handle them, remove them from the pan, and transfer to a rack to cool. Store cooled cupcakes airtight.
1) Beat together the butter, shortening, and salt.
2) Add the sugar, vanilla, and ¼ c. milk, and beat until fluffy. Add additional milk if the frosting seems too stiff to spread.
3) Split frosting into two separate bowls and color as desired.
Recipes adapted from King Arthur Flour